Salary: $74,062.00 Annually
Location : WV, WV
Job Type: Full-time
Job Number: 0612
Department: CIB Forensic Laboratory
Opening Date: 07/17/2023
Description: Serves as an entry level supervisor of a forensic discipline within the WVSP Forensic Laboratory. Responsible for the administrative supervisory duties necessary for the efficient operation of the section under general direction of the laboratory director. Maintains discipline and ensures proper performance of duties of all members of the section and perpetuates the direction and policies of the superintendent. The FSS 1 may also perform analytical duties required within the area of expertise. Performs related work as required. This is a full-time position with state benefits.
Examples of Duties: Ensures introductory and on-going training of supervised staff in area of expertise. Assigns normal or special duties to section personnel. Ensures the correct operation, calibration, and maintenance of the scientific instruments. Responsible for the proper use, maintenance, necessary replacement, and security of all personal and individual issue equipment and WVSP transportation equipment, Reviews and submits all records for the section as required by WVSP rules, regulations or other directives. Responsible for the proper documentation, routing and dissemination of all messages and information as received.
Minimum Qualification: Training: Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited four year college or university with a major in chemistry, biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, forensic sciences, natural sciences, or related field.
Experience: Ten years of full-time or equivalent part-time paid experience in the analysis of evidentiary material, at least 3 years of which must have been in a lead worker capacity.
Other: Relevant certification from an approved forensic certifying body (i.e. ABC, AFTE, IAI, etc.) Successful completion of at least two leadership training courses (as deemed appropriate by laboratory management): At least 3 documented leadership literature readings Documented project management experience (leads validations, outsourcing, etc.)
At least one from the following category (as deemed appropriate by laboratory management):
• Assessor/Auditor training with active assessment duties
• Service on a laboratory board (Internal Audit Team, Quality Assurance Board)
Pay Grade: $74,062 Base Salary
As an agency of State Government, the West Virginia State Police provides a wide variety of benefits to it's employees. As a WV public employee, some benefits are mandatory to all public employees, while some are completely voluntary. Some benefits are free to employees while others require a monthly premium.
Current year details regarding plan options and monthly premium costs can be obtained by logging onto the PEIA website at
- PEIA offers $10,000 life insurance policies for all fulltime employees. PEIA also offers Optional Life Insurance of varying amounts that include $5,000 to $500,000 worth of coverage, subject to an insurability screening. For first time PEIA participants, PEIA allows up to $100,000 of Optional Life Insurance coverage for employees to enroll without the insurability screening. PEIA offers Dependent Life coverage, please visit the PEIA website for plans and pricing
- The WV State Police also offers a $4,000 life insurance policy through UNUM Provident Life Insurance.
- As WV public employees, all full-time public employees are required to participate with the Public Employees Retirement Plan, regulated by the Consolidated Public Retirement Board. Employees hired on or after July 1, 2015 will be members of the PERS II plan, contributing 6% of their gross monthly salary. WV State Police contributes 10% of the member's gross monthly salary for a combined total of 16%. Please visit to explore the Retirement Benefits and Requirements.
- An additional retirement option is available with Empower Retirement and functions as a 457 Retirement Plan. Please visit to learn more about the retirement options for both pre- and post- tax contributions.
- Mountaineer Flexible Benefits offers additional insurance such as Dental, Vision, Hearing, Legal, Short- and Long-term disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, and Health Savings Accounts (for qualifying employees who enroll in the PPB Plan C Health Plan offered by PEIA). To explore the variety of plans and prices, please visit
about WV State employee benefits.
-WVSP is an Equal Opportunity Employer-