How You’ll Help Transform Healthcare:
This Forensic Nurse Examiner (FNE) position will provide coverage for and be located onsite at Carilion Rockbridge Community Hospital (CRBH) in Lexington, VA. This position is full-time working variable hours depending on needs.
Assumes primary accountability for nursing coordination and provision of individualized care for forensic patients of all ages. Uses critical thinking skills to provide quality service through a collaborative approach to patient care. Provides compassionate, culturally sensitive and comprehensive assessments, evidence collections, chain of custody and documentation of forensic patients of diverse age spans. Collaborates with law enforcement, child and elderly advocacy programs to meet the needs of each individual patient. Provides education to staff and external agencies regarding the responsibilities of the forensic nurse examiner.
- Identifies at risk patients through patient screening to determine if case meets criteria for forensic processes. Assesses, plans, implements standard forensic orders, and evaluates patient care to achieve optimum outcomes for diverse forensic population
- Participates in evidence collection by photographing injuries, implementing standard clinical protocols, interviewing patient and/or patient care giver, reviewing police reports and other methods of data collection.
- Maintains chain of custody evidence until transferred to external investigating agencies. Coordinates forensic services by interacting with physicians and external agencies. Provides expert testimony in court if summoned on cases in which the forensic nurse examiner was involved.
- Maintains database and trending reports of patient demographics of forensic patients within the Carilion Clinic. Provides standardized reports to agencies as needed.
- Participates in performance improvement activities regarding the role of the forensic nurse. Collects and analyzes data to improve processes.
- Provides education to external agencies regarding forensic nursing, and serves as a key educator in the didactic and clinical forensic nursing program in the Carilion Clinic. Educates and validates competencies to staff regarding the forensic performance orientation and annual competencies.
What We Require:
Education: Graduate of an accredited nursing program. Bachelor’s degree in nursing preferred.
Experience: 1-3 years practice as a registered nurse, emergency nursing preferred. Exhibits clinical expertise as evidenced by completion of core curriculum in both didactic and clinical forensic nurse program.
Licensure/Certifications/Registration: Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal and communication skills. Demonstrated skills in patient assessment. Computer data entry skills preferred. Must provide own transportation.
This is Carilion Clinic …
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Requisition Number: 143631
Employment Status: Full time
Location: CRBH -Carilion Rockbridge Community Hospital
Shift: Variable Hours
Shift Details: Full Time, Primarily Monday-Friday, business hours
Recruiter: WHITNEY D SHELL
Recruiter Phone: 540-983-4036
Recruiter Email: WDShell@carilionclinic.org
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.