At Magna, we create technology that disrupts the industry and solves big problems for consumers, our customers, and the world around us. We’re the only mobility technology company and supplier with complete expertise across the entire vehicle.
We are committed to quality and continuous improvement because our products impact millions of people every day. But we’re more than what we make. We are a group of entrepreneurial-minded people whose collective expertise gives us a competitive advantage. World Class Manufacturing is a journey and it’s our talented people who lead us on this journey.
Under the direction of the Chief Compliance Officer, provide legal subject matter expertise to support the development of Magna’s Global Ethics and Legal Compliance and Data Privacy Programs; provide project management, leadership and oversight on significant regulatory matters, compliance investigations and complex litigation.
- Work closely with Magna’s Internal Audit, Information Governance, Data Privacy, external legal counsel, and other functional experts, including assisting in project management and coordination on significant investigations, regulatory issues and complex litigation (including e-discovery processes) involving Magna’s internal business units
- Monitor current and emerging laws and regulatory changes to assess what changes are needed to Magna’s Ethics and Legal Compliance Program and related policies and procedures
- Provide legal subject matter expertise and guidance to the global Ethics and Legal Compliance team members
- Provide legal subject matter expertise and guidance (including virtual training) to operating groups and various corporate functions in the areas of privacy and data protection, competition/antitrust, sanctions/export controls, and similar regulatory requirements
Knowledge and Education
- Juris Doctor or L.L.B. degree, with a license to practice in Canada or the United States
- Experience advising on litigation, regulatory and internal investigations, and e-discovery processes
- Minimum of 5 years of legal practice at a law firm and/or in-house
Skills and Competencies
- Pragmatic, self-starter with strong problem solving abilities who can identify core issues, and execute and implement solutions
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including the ability to tailor your message to your target audience and communicate complex issues clearly and persuasively
- Ability to build solid relationships and to influence and build consensus across a diverse group of business people with a wide array of professional backgrounds, including executive management
- Strong project management and organizational skills, and the ability to adapt to changing needs, successfully coordinate and complete multiple tasks within and across departments to meet deadlines
- The ability and desire to work independently with limited direct supervision
- Solution-oriented, exceptional business judgment, agility, and experience thinking outside the box
- A strong interest in creative problem solving, especially through complex data analysis and research of emerging, evolving, and ambiguous areas of law
- Experience in privacy or competition/antitrust a significant asset
- Language fluency is an asset (for example: German, Mandarin or Spanish)
- Standard office environment
- Collaboration with a cross functional global team
- Accommodations for disabilities in relations to the job selection process are available upon request.
- Candidates will be required to complete a Criminal Records Check and, if deemed necessary, a Credit Check as part of the candidate selection process
Awareness. Unity. Empowerment.
At Magna, we believe that a diverse workforce is critical to our success. That’s why we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We hire on the basis of experience and qualifications, and in consideration of job requirements, regardless of, in particular, color, ancestry, religion, gender, origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity. Magna takes the privacy of your personal information seriously. We discourage you from sending applications via email to comply with GDPR requirements and your local Data Privacy Law.