About the Department
The Clinical, Medical and Regulatory (CMR) department at Novo Nordisk is one of the most diverse and collaborative groups within the organization. From health-care-provider interactions and developing and implementing regulatory strategies with the FDA to providing medical education and collecting data to support efficacy and new product development, CMR is involved. The one thing that keeps us all marching to the same beat is our patient-centered focus. At Novo Nordisk, you will help patients around the world. As their needs evolve, so does our challenge to find better and more innovative ways to improve their quality of life. We’re changing lives for a living. Are you ready to make a difference?
The Executive Director, Real World Evidence (RWE), is responsible for assuring the generation of real-world evidence to help build the clinical, economic and humanistic value proposition across all stages of the lifecycle for NN products and therapeutic areas in the U.S.
This position reports directly to the Vice President, Clinical Data Science & Evidence (CDSE) in Clinical, Medical and Regulatory Affairs (CMR) and has broad responsibility for managing multiple internal relationships within and across NNI and NN A/S.
Internally, the incumbent works in close collaboration with leadership in CMR, Market Access, Marketing, Legal, Public Affairs, Global Market Access, and Global Clinical Development.
The ED works through the Real-World Evidence team to deliver impactful real-world evidence for all key products. The team executes on the evidence generation plan and ensures that the evidence is scientifically rigorous to impact and inform health care decision making.
- The Executive Director, as head of the Real-World Evidence team is responsible for providing strategic vision, expertise, leadership, and direction to the team.
- The Executive Director leads the team responsible for delivering the real-world evidence associated with the strategic, long-term, and integrated Evidence Generation plans for key products. The team ensures that the evidence is generated based on relevant research questions that are aligned with NNI business priorities. These plans are the drivers for all evidence generation activities across NNI.
- The Executive Director leads the team responsible for ensuring that the studies are high quality, relevant and delivered on time. This includes working with vendors, global RWD and IT teams, clinical teams, medical affairs, and customers to execute on the studies i.e., develop study protocol, manage study conduct, deliver study results and drive publications in top tier journals. As needed, the studies and analytics will also be translated into field tools for use by medical and commercial field personnel.
- The Executive Director leads the team responsible for engaging with the internal teams to ensure the RWE material is user friendly, relevant, high quality and communicated during customer conversations. This would involve interfacing with internal teams and field teams to train the field on RWE communication tools and ensure that the key points out of the studies are clearly communicated to the field teams.
- To support these activities, the incumbent is responsible for owning the RWE execution process, interfacing with key high-level leaders to drive the process, ensure timing and expectations to deliver integrated and impactful RWE for all key products.
- Assures that delivery of U.S. strategic insights and inputs from real world data are provided to shape NNI project teams through the EG planning teams and process.
- Assures that RWE required for health economic models, including decision analytic, cost-effectiveness, budget impact and disease treatment models are designed and implemented based on the specific needs to support the market access and performance of Novo Nordisk products.
- Establishes, oversees implementation, and monitors adherence to administrative policies and procedures including those guiding RWE and reporting of RWE findings with payor and provider customers
- Responsible for RWE annual budget, assures RWE investments (research, tools, FTEs, publications, field liaisons) are driving attainment of goals and priorities.
- Inspires, increases motivation and productivity in implementing policies and management practices that attract and retain the best RWE talent in the U.S.
- Ensures commercial alignment of RWE and initiatives with brands, public affairs, market access and medical strategies.
- Oversees RWE activities to develop RWE for inclusion into cost models that demonstrate the cost-effectiveness and overall value of the brands, and overall product portfolio to specific accounts and customer channels. Helps to ensure RWE is incorporated into local and global clinical study designs, and in the company’s health policy initiatives.
10-20% overnight travel required.
Development of People
Ensure that reporting personnel have individual development plans (IDP), with annual goals and measurements that are consistent with the priorities of the business, and that interim reviews are held so that their work is focused on those priorities, and they understand their level of accountability for results and the measurement process.
Ensure that the IDP forms include completed learning and aspiration plans and are in place for all reporting personnel to enable the achievement of goals and capability to assume increased levels of responsibility.
Manage the application and communication of all Novo Nordisk policies, procedures, and Novo Nordisk Way.
- A PhD and/or master’s degree in a quantitative health-related field (i.e. Health Economics, Outcomes Research, Clinical Epidemiology or similar) is preferred
- 15+ years of experience in healthcare, payor, and/or pharmaceutical industry preferred
- 5+ years of prior leadership experience, with proven people management skills preferred
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative, relationship building and communication skills.
- Proven record of outstanding written and verbal communication and negotiation skills, with experience interacting with and presenting to key customers.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking skills, strong business acumen, and excellent process and management skills.
- Superior strategic/tactical planning experience within a pharmaceutical environment is required.
- The incumbent must possess expertise, knowledge, experience and credibility to be viewed as an expert internally and externally, especially with key external groups such as large US payors, healthcare provider groups, key opinion leaders (KOLs), and industry and government expert groups.
- In-depth knowledge of health care systems in the U.S., including managed care organizations, PBMs, health care delivery systems, Medicare, and Medicaid.
- Record of peer-reviewed scientific publications, dossier contributions, and strategic use of real-world evidence.
- Keen understanding of the drug development process.
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.