$22.84 – $39.74 Hourly
$47,510 – $82,667 Annually
This position is a Pay Band 80
Purpose of Position
The Purpose of this position is to serve as specialists in an area of expertise/scientific discipline and are responsible for identifying and analyzing physical evidence related to their specialization that is collected from criminal investigations
THIS POSTING WILL BE USED TO CONDUCT ONGOING RECRUITMENT AND WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL THIS VACANCY HAS BEEN FILLED.
Why does the job exist?
Forensic Scientists in the Department of Public Safety support the New Mexico law enforcement community in the investigation of crimes by receiving and maintaining physical evidence custody; preparing reports that document their findings; provide expert opinions in their scientific specialization to investigators; and provide expert witness testimony regarding their findings in a court of law. The selected candidate will be responsible for independently identifying and analyzing biological matter and/or DNA evidence related to criminal investigations.
How does it get done?
This position will be responsible for the following:
– Producing formal reports that accurately identify and analyze biological matter and/or DNA evidence to determine their significance to the investigation
– Presenting the results, conclusions and expert opinion in the scientific analysis of the biological matter/ DNA
– Providing expert witness testimony regarding their findings in courts of law throughout the State of New Mexico
– Performing QA/QC to assure quality analysis, evidence integrity, and maintain accreditation standards
– Continue training to develop competency and proficiency in their area of specialization, specifically biological matter/ DNA analysis for this position, as required
Who are the customers?
This position serves Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Agencies in New Mexico.
The Ideal Candidate will have the following skills, knowledge and abilities:
– The ability to determine the identity of an unknown substance
– The ability to conduct tests to quantitate and analyze biological matter and/or DNA
– The ability to extract, analyze and compare unknown DNA evidence item to reference samples
– The ability to provide testimony in a court of law
– The ability to write laboratory reports
For DNA Analysts, a Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Forensic Science, Biochemistry, Genetics or Molecular biology from an accredited college or university and completion of nine (9) credit hours of coursework in any combination of biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology, to include any course work in statistics or population genetics. Four (4) years of experience working in a forensics laboratory performing scientific analysis of forensic evidence, including one (1) year independent case work analysis.
No job description available
This position is designated as safety sensitive. Employment is subject to post-employment drug testing and random employment drug testing and is conditional pending results. In addition, this position is subject to a national fingerprint-based record check within 30 days of assignment. Continued employment is contingent upon remaining felony-free, per Section 184.108.40.206 of the Criminal Justice Information Systems Security Policy.
In addition, the selected candidate must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, and a current Defensive Driving Certificate from the State of New Mexico; or pass and receive the Defensive Driving Course Certification, within six (6) months of date of hire.
Statewide travel in a car and/or a small aircraft will be required, when necessary.
Work is performed in a forensic laboratory setting with exposure to chemicals, biological fluids including exposure to noise from equipment and instruments utilized in the laboratory. Work is performed under stressful situations with strict deadlines. Frequent walking, standing, sitting and bending is required, and have the ability to lift and carry up to 30 lbs.
Do you know what Total Compensation is? Click here
Agency Contact Information: Jennifer Otto Email
For information on Statutory Requirements for this position, click the Classification Description link on the job advertisement.
Bargaining Unit Position
This position is not covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
To apply for this job please visit careers.share.state.nm.us.