Job no: 492862
Work type: Adjunct
Location: St. Louis, MO
Categories: Accounting & Finance, Academic Affairs, School of Business, Adjunct
Job Summary/Basic Function
In keeping with our mission and vision statement, Maryville University actively seeks adjunct faculty members who are experts in their fields and have a passion for teaching. Adjunct faculty are an integral part of the University’s learning community.
The John E. Simon School of Business is accepting applications for an academically/professionally qualified adjunct faculty member to teach a Forensic Accounting and Ethics I course during the Spring 2024 semester. The course will be conducted face-to-face on our main campus and is scheduled during regular business hours. Applicants would need to have reliable transportation as well as the flexibility to teach during regular business hours.
ACCT-310 – Forensic Accounting and Ethics I
1/15/2024 – 5/5/2024
Wednesdays & Fridays 8:00am – 9:15am CT
Description: The course introduces the field of accounting ethics, forensic accounting, and fraud detection and examination. Course content includes an introduction to fraudulent financial reporting, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, economic damages, business valuation, money laundering, terrorism, and cybersecurity.
Prerequisites: ACCT-211; BUS-280; ENGL-104 or ENGL-204H
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
• Must be committed to fostering a culturally diverse atmosphere.
• Teach assigned course as specified in the schedule and course contract.
• Participate in welcome orientation to become familiar with the University’s mission, academic policies and procedures, expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System).
• Prepare essential lesson plans and assignments, develop course syllabus.
• Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, assignments and deadlines, using available technology with Canvas.
• Employ a variety of teaching styles in order to effectively deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world applications of concepts covered.
• Encourage active learning through discussion topics, class assignments, group projects, etc.
• Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough manner.
• Establish times outside of class to assist students with additional questions and concerns.
• Report early alerts for students who are not actively engaging in the course.
• Additional duties, as assigned, will vary based on course(s) taught.
• Master’s degree in Accounting or related field from a regionally accredited institution.
• Relevant certifications pertaining to the accounting field (e.g., CPA).
• Willingness and ability to learn new academic technology and engaged pedagogy to facilitate student learning.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
• Doctorate with at least 15 graduate hours in Accounting or related field from a regionally accredited institution.
• Teaching experience and relevant experience in the field.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants would need to have reliable transportation as well as the flexibility to teach during regular business hours on our main campus.
While the School of Business is searching for a qualified applicant to teach the specified course during the Spring 2024 semester, the department is also using this posting to build a qualified pool of instructors to fill campus-based teaching needs as they arise.
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.
Advertised: November 08, 2023
Applications close: Open until filled